Helsinki-Vantaa Airport is the main international airport in the metropolitan region of Helsinki and the whole Finland as well. Located in Vantaa, Finland, it caters to over 14 million passengers and employs 20 thousand employees. There are also 1,500 companies that operate at this airport. It was chosen as the best airport as the best airport in the world in 1999 and was ranked number one in customer satisfaction in 2006. It was also considered as the most punctual airport in Europe in 2005.
There are three airport lounges at the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport – Aspire, Finnair, and SAS Business Lounge. At the present time, a new lounge has opened – the Almost@Home lounge. All four lounges offer a three-hour stay for 35 to 45 Euros. Amenities included in the lounge are WiFi, reading materials, dining and cooking area, play area for children and a quiet work area. Children below 2 years of age are admitted for free.
- Almost@Home Lounge: Terminal 2, Gates 32-40. Operating hours: Monday to Sunday 6:30 am to 7:30 pm
- ASPIRE Lounge by Servisair: Terminal 2, Gates 27-28. Rates: EUR35 per person. Operating hours: 5:30 am to 8:00 pm
- Finnair Lounge: Terminal 2, Gates 25-26. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 12:00 am
- Finnair Lounge: Terminal 2, Gates 32-40. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 12:00 am
- SAS Business Lounge: Terminal 2, Gate 13. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
Airport WiFi and Internet
- Free WiFi and internet access is available at the airport terminal.
- Internet kiosks are also found at the eService Bar near Gate 20.
Services, Facilities & Things to Do at the Airport
There are a number of facilities and services available at the airport. At least two ATM machines are accessible in each terminal. Two children’s playrooms are also available and are featured with pens, papers, toys, videos, beds, and baby changing facilities. These playrooms are open for 24 hours at the airsides of Gates 30, 20, 16. There are also seven currency exchange offices near the arrivals and departures halls and in Gates 31, 26, and 15. A number of cafes, coffee shops, bar and restaurants are also available at the airport. Some are open for 24 hours while other only operate for 12 hours. You can also make use of lockers for 5 to 6 Euros every day. WiFi is offered in the entire airport for free.
- Hilton Helsinki-Vantaa Airport: Next to Terminal 2
- Hotel GLO Helsinki Airport: Service Floor. Open 24 hours
Banks and Currency Exchange
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Gate 26. Operating hours: 5:30 am to 9:00 pm
- Change Group: Terminal 1, Arrivals Area. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 8:00 pm
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Gate 31. Operating hours: 5:30 am to 11:30 pm
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Departure Floor. Operating hours: 5:30 am to 9:00 am
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Arrivals 2B. Operating hours: 8:30 am to 7:30 pm
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Arrivals 2A. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
- Change Group: Terminal 2, Gate 15. Operating hours: 6:00 am to 9:00 pm
Storage and Lockers
- Airpro Travel Service: Service Floor. Operating hours: Open 24 hours
- Lockers: EUR5-6 and items can be stored for 14 days.
- Avis: Corridor between Terminals 1 and 2
- Budget: Corridor between Terminals 1 and 2
- Europcar: Corridor between Terminals 1 and 2
- Hertz: Corridor between Terminals 1 and 2
- Sixt: Corridor between Terminals 1 and 2
The airport has spas, saunas as well as a mineral water pool especially designed for wellness travellers. They are located at the airside of Gate 36. There are a number of shops at the airport as well. You can buy gift, practical items, local specialties, as well as designer good. Souvenirs are also available. They include liquorice sweets, cloudberry jam, and woollen sweaters. However, there are ahops that do not permit procurement if you are travelling on a domestic flight.
Food and Dining
- Go!Cafe: Terminal 1, Departure floor
- Cafe Picnic: Arrivals 2A, Open 24 hours
- Coffee Spoon: Open 24 hours
- My City Helsinki: Terminal 2, Gate 35. Operating hours: Open 24 hours
- Cesar’s Pizza and Food Court: Service Floor. Operating hours: Breakfast 6:00 am to 9:30 am, Lunch 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
- Restaurant and Deli Fly Inn: Terminal 2, Gate 27. Operating hours: 11:00 am to 6:00 pm
- The Oak Barrel
Duty Free Shops
- Arrivals Shop: Arrivals Area 2A and 2B
- Finnair Shop Tax-Free
- Helsinki Airport Duty Free: Terminals 1 and 2
The airport is open 24 hours and seven days a week.
Airport Transportation: Getting There
You can get to the Helsinki-Vantaa Airport by rail and by bus. Regular bus services are available to get to the airport every 30 to 35 minutes. Buses from ExpressBus and Matkahuolto are accessible at the coach terminal daytime and overnight. On the other hand the Tikkurila railway was opened in May 2006 and offers an 8 minute journey to and from the airport.
- Finnair City Bus from downtown Helsinki to the airport
- Bus 615 from Helsinki. Travel time is approximately 35 minutes
- Bus 620: Night time bus from Helsinki
- Bus 61: From Tikkurila train station to the airport
- Bus 52: From Hameenkyla through Myyrmaki
Taxi stations are found at the arrival areas of the terminals and takes about 30 minutes to get to Helsinki. Taxi costs about EUR 40-50.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
Taxis and buses are available at the airport. The two terminals are only 300 meters apart and are connected by a terminal walkway.